Here’s the project that helped me out of the funk. It’s a shawl-collared cardigan, the idea for which crystallized after a recent consultation with John Kitchener (more on that in another post).
The fabric is a malachite-colored wool jersey that’s been in my fabric stash since 2006, waiting patiently for the right project to come along. It’s an absolute pleasure to sew and press, just like every other wool jersey I’ve ever tried, and comfy to wear. I really need more of this fabric, in all kinds of bright colors.
I used my knit top TNT McCall’s 6355 and added a shawl collar. I had originally drafted a separate collar into a slightly curved neckline and a cut-on facing, but I didn’t like how the finished collar looked where it met the front edge. So I went back to the drafting table and added a regular shawl collar onto the front (this requires a separate facing).
In the picture above, you can see the original TNT front under the new shawl-collared front – the only changes are at the neckline and front edge. I used Armstrong’s directions except for moving the neck point (sheer laziness as I already had the back piece cut out and didn’t feel like tracing and cutting a new copy) and made the collar wider, per previously established preference. For the facing, I took into account the turn of the cloth, adding to the collar and subtracting from the front edge.
While the cardigan was still on the dressform, I played with some trim to get ideas for the next iteration. Like this:
Although I can see a lined version in the future, I didn’t line this one. I wanted it to feel sweater-like. Also, because I didn’t have matching thread and over here thread costs twice as much as stateside, I only bought one small spool for the stitching that would show. All the serging inside is in lime green.
None of the lime green shows when I wear it but it makes me feel good to know it’s there. There will, of course, be a lime green version coming soon. I know you knew that.
See you soon!