The skirt is from a TNT self-draft, adjusted to add 1″ total through the hips and thighs to allow for wearing without shapewear (because I don’t plan to wear that around the house). I shortened it by 2″ as this is a casual skirt so knees showing are not an issue the way they might be in an office setting. The shorter length allowed me to eliminate the back vent, which made for faster sewing. Instead of a regular waistband, I used double-folded bias tape for bind the waist edge.
The top started out as Kwik Sew 3003 in size Small, with the following adjustments:
- length-only FBA 1½”, which added a bust dart
- shortened shoulder seam by ½”
- low neckline alteration ½”
- added ½” at side seam at the hip, blending to original at waist (total 2″ circumference added)
- lengthened to 24″ finished length at CB
- morphed neckline from my simple black dress onto this pattern.
I used the short version of the sleeve and it did not require any alteration.
For the skirt, I used a piece of white cotton canvas that’s been sitting in my stash for a few years now. It came from Michael’s Fabrics. I had originally wanted a hem with multiple rows of topstitching, which just did not look right on this fabric. So I hemmed it by hand.
For the top, I used a white/silver cotton/lycra striped jersey from Fabric Mart. It appears to be sold out now but I bought it for $2.99/yd and wasn’t expecting too much from it. As it turns out, the fabric feels soft on the skin, the metallic stripes are not scratchy at all, and it did just fine under the iron. I have another yard and a half left so it will be making a reappearance.
I fixed the lining mistake:
|See? No seam allowances showing.|
It would have driven me nuts to know that the lining was inside out. I would think about it every time I wear it which means I wouldn’t wear it very often. It was worth the little bit of time to rip out the stitching at the waist and put the lining back in, correctly.
The top isn’t hemmed yet (which may or may not be obvious from the photos) but I wanted to take advantage of my husband’s generous picture-taking mood. I’ll hem it tomorrow after I figure out the best length.
I have another striped knit destined to become a similar top – this one is black and white, and the stripes are narrower. Here they are together before the one on the right was cut:
Before I cut the black and white knit, I’ll have to fix this:
When I put on the top, the darts are in the right place but after a few minutes of movement, the front slides up a bit and doesn’t come back down (not on its own anyway; it does with a slight tug). I am not entirely sure what causes this so I don’t quite know how to fix it. It doesn’t seem to be an issue of dart placement but rather as if the whole top wanted to rotate to the back a little. If that’s the case, won’t I have to redraw the armholes and maybe even the neckline?
The skirt is very summery and comfortable. The fabric wrinkles a bit but not so much that I would worry about it. A bit like denim.
The top is a comfy T-shirt that doesn’t look like a typical one. I like this neckline a lot, it may just become my go-to neckline. I think it’s better untucked so I will hem it accordingly. After the dart/rotation issue is fixed, this will be my new TNT top pattern.
Not visible in the pictures (I hope) was the pain I felt in those heels. They are my favorite sandals but a recent soft tissue injury to my left ankle makes it quite painful to put my foot in that position. Dorsiflexed is better. I am also grounded from running for a week. (Ok, so the doctor may have said something about 2-4 weeks but I didn’t hear that part very well.) At least it’s not the right foot – that’s my pedal foot.
Next up is a pair of pants and a dress, and I’m also making good progress on my Viajante shawl, so stay tuned.
See you soon!